Belvoir Castle is the ancestral home of the Dukes of Rutland. The family have lived at Belvoir in an unbroken line for almost a thousand years. Crowning a hill in Leicestershire, its turrets and towers rise over the Vale of Belvoir like an illustration in a romantic fairy-tale. The land was a gift from William the Conqueror to one of his Norman barons – Robert de Todeni who fought for him as his Standard Bearer at the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The first castle which was begun in 1067, was constructed primarily to defend its Norman owners from attack, and so took full advantage of its defensive position high up on the ridge.
By 1464 the Wars of the Roses had taken their toll on the building and it was more or less in ruins. Some 60 years later it rose again, but as a nobler structure with a central courtyard, parts of which can still be recognised today. But in 1649 that too was destroyed, by Parliamentarians after Royalists had seized it during the Civil War.
Its third incarnation, began in 1654 was designed as a large family home with no connotations of defence or war. The castle you see today finally emerged in the early 1800s and was built for the 5th Duke and Duchess of Rutland between 1801 and 1832 by architect James Wyatt. The castle was given the French name Belvoir – meaning beautiful view – now pronounced ‘beaver’ remains as one of the most magnificent and beautiful Regency houses in England.
Belvoir Castle will be open to the public on selected days from March – October 2017. Please see dates here.
11:00am – 5:30pm.
Ticket office opens at 10:30am.
Visits to the Castle are either by free flow or a guided tour.
Guided Tour Times
Please allow at least 15 minutes to walk from the ticket office to the Castle, where the tour begins as the walk up to the Castle from the car park is quite steep.
Castle Guides will be available to answer questions and help with information.
Castle door closed at 5:00pm.